Facebook is going to start charging! Businesses and brands have been paying to play, and now the users have to pay too?
Ok … seriously if you are buying this story I have a bridge in California I would like to sell to you. It has a beautiful view and is over 80 years old.
I think all of us can learn something from this story that quickly took over the Facebook newsfeed.
5 Things You Need to Know About Facebook
- Facebook’s users are passionate and engaged.
- If it is on Facebook it must be true.
- What happens on Facebook does not stay on Facebook.
- A catchy story will go viral quite quickly.
- There are a lot of know-it-alls on Facebook.
Now that we have gotten that out of the way, what can we do to get exposure when a trend starts going viral on Facebook for the brands we represent.
How To Capitalize On a Facebook Trend
- Write about it on your blog. (Ex: This blog post)
- Discuss it on your Facebook business pages.
- Generate conversation around the topic on other social media platforms.
- Create a funny meme about it. (See image above)
- Ignore it and just let the trend die down.
Facebook Jumped In On the Fun When The Spoof Went Viral
Examples of How Others Responded On Facebook
In my opinion, this just proves even more that we need to continually be watching for opportunities to get more buzz for our brands. However, we need to be careful. Here are some examples of news hijacking that went bad for brands.
What lessons did you learn from this Facebook spoof? Comment below.