The Key Ingredient To Marketing Success: How to Find A Content Marketing Copywriter
All great chefs know that even in the simplest dishes, the key to creating a great dish is to use the best possible ingredients. What do you need to create great content marketing in your business? The most important ingredient is the copywriter!
Not everyone on your staff has the ability or the time to create the amount of website content you need. Needless to say, you will need someone to write regular blog posts, white papers, landing pages, video scripts and other types of web content. You need to find a freelance copywriter or perhaps even a team of copywriters.
Characteristics of A Good Content Marketing Copywriter
When you start the search for a copywriter, first determine which set of skills is relevant to your project. Are you creating content for a PPC campaign? Then you should look for an SEO copywriter.
Do you need someone with specific knowledge of your industry? Since many B2B copywriters specialize in specific niches, you can look for writers who have experience in financial, health and other industries.
Review their writing samples and portfolio to be sure they can write in a style and tone that is right for your business.
This is a brief checklist of things to look for in a good copywriter:
- A journalism degree is not necessary, but the writer should have a strong grasp of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Are they familiar with the AP Style Guide?
- Can they write a proper headline? As advertising legend David Oglivy says: “On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.”
- Does the writer have a strong writing voice? Can they create interest?
- Are they knowledgeable in the latest SEO best practices? Can they use your keywords to create interesting, easy to read content?
Writing skills and how to use the Oxford comma are not enough.
A good copywriter also proves their true worth when they can assist you with content strategy.
- Do you need a landing page or a series of blog posts?
- Would a white paper or special report be more effective?
A Copywriter/Content Strategist can become an important part of your team by helping you determine the right type of content that will help you achieve your goals.
Where to Find Good A Content Marketing Copywriter
- Professional Networking Groups and Creative Agencies
- Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer: A list of copywriters who have completed Copyblogger Media’s Authority copywriting course.
- Creatives in DFW is a comprehensive directory of local creative talent, including copywriters, website designers and more.
- Use LinkedIn to search for content marketing copywriters by the skills need for your project.
Do not expect to find good quality writers for $5.00 per blog post on bidding sites like Elance or Fivver. With good writers, like anything else, “you get what you pay for”.
Whether you decide to hire an in-house copywriter or bring in a freelance writer to help out with a project, remember: finding a good copywriter is the key ingredient to your content marketing success.
How are you generating content to market your products / services? Are you the great chef and the business owner?