Reputation Management: Repairing and Safeguarding Your Brand Online
Why Worry About Reputation? Because any business carries risk. No matter how wonderful, how innocuous and how beloved your product/service – even ONE problem, when it gets onto the internet, can get out of hand. And even if you take care of and resolve a problem, things tend to stick around on the internet (example: “United Breaks Guitars”).
All sorts of things can impact your online presence:
- Estranged relationships
- Disgruntled customers
- Customer service issues
- Unresolved issues of many types
Proactive Online Reputation Management (ORM)
- Proactive ORM Enables a business to control more of its reputation online
- Proactive ORM insulates a business from damaging exposure when attacked online
Elements of Proactive ORM
- Wikipedia pages rank in Google very easily
- Facebook pages rank well, if optimized
- YouTube pages rank well, if optimized
- Twitter also ranks well – this can be in your favor if you have many followers and utilize it strategically.
Top Online Reputation Assets:
- Website (optimized)
- Facebook page
- Twitter Account
- Wikipedia Page
- Google+ Page
- Blogs (WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr)
- YouTube channel
Online Reputation Liabilities”
- Bad reviews
- Bad things that happened “nearby”
- News stories (example: Children’s Museum has thousands of visitors. ONE child trips down the stairs and gets hurt, the story makes it into the paper and that creates a negative entry in search)
Click-Through Rates are Affected by Ratings in Reviews.
A little bit about online reviews:
- Ignoring your reviews can result in a snowball effect.
- Offsetting Negative Reviews + Good Customer Service = WIN!
- BBB has (quietly) added Consumer Business Reviews (people trust the BBB, so it may be helpful to have your customers post reviews via BBB).
- Leverage services that elicit Customer Reviews.
How to handle negative things that get linked to your name/brand:
- Dilution may be the best approach – Proactive entries that are positive help to keep negative entries from floating to the top and keep them from STAYING at the top.
- Use Humor to Diffuse/Overwhelm Haters.
- Utilize tools like PlacesScout – online review monitoring to keep an eye on what’s going on .
- If you need help setting up your profiles, Knowem can help.
Have you got a handle on your Online Reputation?
To learn more about Chris Silver Smith you can read his full bio on Rocks Digital.