Rock Your Wrap-Up and Your Roll-Out for the New Year
The new year has started and your office space has become divided into the piles of things you should have finished last year and things you need to do for the new year. Don’t feel bad because you’re not finished with last year yet.
How to Wrap-Up Last Year and Roll-Out the New Year
Quick Wrap-Up Tips
- Make backups of your files. Consider using a backup service. Review your backup procedures and document them.
- Archive files (to a flash drive or to an archive folder on Dropbox) that you aren’t using often but MIGHT need in the future.
- If you use a flash drive, consider where you will keep it. If a disaster wipes out your files, is it going to impact that drive as well?
- Order calendars and other office supplies you’ll need for the new year.
- This is a good time to do some computer maintenance. Do you need all the icons on your desktop? Do you have duplicate files? A little clean-up now can make the new year much easier.
Start Your New Year with These Roll-Out Tips!
Now that you have everything from last year wrapped up, you can get started on rolling out your new year. Remember – Progress, not Perfection! Here are some new year’s roll-out tips:
- Do you need a new chair or new keyboard? Time to give yourself a little post-holiday gift or two. Remember, looking out for your ergonomic well-being is an important self-care practice.
- When’s the last time you cleaned your monitors and keyboard? Do that now. Also, make sure your computer isn’t full of dust – and pet fur?!
- Make a plan to move more in the new year – set up reminders to get up and stretch. Challenge yourself (or you and your co-workers can challenge each other) to keep moving past the typical New Year’s Resolution phase.
- Think about ways you can be more efficient in the new year. Could you be delegating more? Spending less time dealing with email? Make a plan now and hit the ground running in 2017.
- Make a plan to connect more in 2017. Consider starting (or being more active in) your online community
Document Your Activities for This Wrap-Up & Roll-Out
I know it’s easy to feel overwhelmed this time of year and to put off the kinds of tasks I mention above, but a little time spent now will really help your productivity as the year progresses. Make sure to document the processes you use for wrapping up and rolling out and then you’ll have a routine to follow when it comes time to do it again, plus you’ll know what worked – and have time to figure out how to improve things that didn’t go too well.
Once you complete both the wrap-up and the roll-out you will be ready to rock 2017 with a fresh perspective and renewed energy!
Have you completed your wrap-up and roll-out yet? Tell us how it’s going!