5 Must Do and How To Instagram Tips
Did you know Instagram (IG) is the fastest growing social media app with over 300 million monthly active users? There’s more engagement on Instagram than on any other social media platform. If you haven’t done it already, now is time to build your brand presence on Instagram.
Jumpstart Your Account with These How To Instagram Tips
1. Create a Bit.ly link to track the Instagram traffic to your website
The only place you can have a clickable URL on Instagram is in your Bio, but the cool thing is that Instagram allows you to change your URL as many times as you want allowing you to direct your IG traffic to your website, Social Media Platforms or to a promotional page. You can play around with different URLs and customize a Bitly link to track your followers.
2. Create a Killer Instagram Bio
Your Bio should include a clear message of what your brand is about. Use key words that describe your brand or business and keywords your clients would search when looking for your services or products. Headshots or personal pictures works best on Instagram. People on IG like to feel connected to whom they are following. Logos will also work just make sure it fits correctly because Instagram only gives you a small space for your profile pic.
3. Instagram Hashtags
Hashtags create a digital gallery of pictures related to a specific topic/hashtags. They can help you increase your reach, engagement and visibility and you can use up to 30 hashtags per post. Encourage your staff, followers and clients to use and share your customized hashtags when sharing a post about your brand or services. It builds your own virtual gallery of pictures specific to your business.
Then once you have a post that’s getting a lot of traction, add a second set of hashtags in the comments section to keep your post active and engaging.
- Use Hashtags that are relevant to your brand or business.
- Create your own unique Hashtags
- Use your name, the name of your business your city
Follow some of the daily trending hashtags like MCM (Man Crush Monday), WCW (Woman Crush Wednesday), Flashback Friday or Follow Friday. There are at least one of these hashtags trending for every day of the week and some days have multiple trending hashtags. This article will show you a list of popular hashtags so you can get in on the fun and engage with a new audience.
4. Follow, Engage, Tag and Share
Follow your competitors, your clients and other accounts that are similar to your brand or business. Also, follow people who inspire you, pages that make you laugh or that inspire you. The point is to make your Instagram feed fun and engaging so that others enjoy visiting and sharing your Instagram account.
Engage or interact with your followers. Like their pictures and make comments on posts that draw your attention. It’s doesn’t have to be a full paragraph, it could even just be an emoji.
Tag and Share
Tag your followers and friends on posts that they would like and regram posts that inspire you. You can also use a Repost app to share posts your followers would like, or you can simply take a screen shot of the image and share it that way. Don’t forget to give credit to the original post.
Increase your visibility on other social media platforms by sharing your IG posts on Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler and Foursquare. Always include your location by tagging it, this shows you are active and engaged.
5. Be Creative with Your Caption Post
- Create a call to action when editing your caption post and engage your followers by asking them questions and encouraging them to share and tag your posts.
- Create behind the scenes videos of your brand or services or run a contest that features your products or services in some way. Another popular type of post is one where you share tips and tricks, DIYs or tutorials.
- You have up to 2200 characters that you can use per caption post, but no one comes to Instagram to read so keep your post to a minimum. Using 100-300 characters per post is recommended.
Check out slidedeck from when I presented at the DFW Social Media Marketing Meetup for more tips and tricks on Instagram.
Are you using Instagram? What tips do you have to share? Comment below.
Learn more on this topic at the Rocks Digital 2015 digital marketing conference.