Our Biggest Opportunity is The Smallest Moments: Micro-Moments presented by #Google at LSS15
Closing out the day at the Local, Search and Social Summit was Ben Killmer, Strategic Partner Manager at Google. Ben started off by telling us that to print the information found on the Internet would be about 136 billion sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper. And, yet, we carry all of that information in our pockets every day on our smartphones. If anyone besides me remembers the days of card catalogs and endless searching through encyclopedias, it’s really pretty mind-boggling to think about.
Opportunity Waits For You in Moments
The future is limitless. There are TRILLIONS of opportunities to meet with potential clients every day. But how do you find those moments to connect? You need to understand what people search for when they’re searching.
So, what do people search for?
- We search to make sense of things
- We search to remember
Mobile and The Opportunity It Brings Your Business
- 3.2 devices per US adult (on average)
- Mobile searches now exceed desktop searches in the US
- We don’t GO online anymore… we LIVE online. 8 of 10 Americans access the internet at least once a day and, on average, we’re accessing the internet 150 times a day…each of us… EVERY DAY!
- In fact, we are so attached to our devices that we have new words related to our devices and interaction with them, like Nomophobia – a fear of being without a mobile device, power source or service area.
- 75% admit to even bringing their device into the restroom on occasion (and, on a perhaps related note, 25% of survey respondents are not always completely honest when answering surveys)!
15% of daily Google searches are unique. These create moments…. micro-moments in which you have the opportunity to connect.
What kind of moments?
- I-want-to-know moments – which relate to satisfying curiosity (checking a fact during a conversation, for instance).
- I-want-to-go-moments – which relate to looking to go somewhere and looking for more information on where you’re going and how to get there. 2x jump in “near-me” searches in 2014!
- I-want-to-do-moments – these relate to looking up information on how to do things. How to do repairs, how to recreate that awesome hairstyle, how to write awesome blog content, etc. 100 million hours of “how-to” content is now on the Internet with more being added daily.
- I-want-to-buy-moments – these moments relate to making actual purchasing decisions. Something broke or they need something new. These moments even happen in stores looking at reviews, pricing, etc.
Micro-moments have changed the consumer journey.
- Immediacy of action
- High expectations
- Unscripted decisions
Potential clients are more need-focused than brand-focused, so if you can provide what they need, you have the opportunity to connect.
65% of decisions start on mobile and end somewhere else –people start a search online and then make a purchase in a store.
Online marketing is a fast evolving industry. Agencies not only manage the execution, they also stay on top of industry news and are key players in turning tools into successful strategies. Make the most of the micro-moments of connection and take your business to the next level.
Have you seized the opportunity of a micro-moment in you business? Tell us about it!